Liver… A delicacy for some palates and an insult for others, but the latter may not dare to give it a chance because of its strong odor, which undoubtedly repels most.
Fortunately, culinary experts around the world have come up with a perfect solution to that problem.
Table of Contents
How Do You Get Rid Of Pork Liver Smell?
To get rid of pork liver smell soak it in milk, it’s that easy. Usually, when it comes to preparing liver, it is covered in both vinegar and lemon juice, but I’m sure you didn’t know that milk is the perfect ingredient to remove the odor and improve its taste.
Recipe To Eliminate The Bad Smell Of Pork Liver
- Place the liver in a container cover the pork liver in milk and stir. This will help it to bleed out, to become softer, and remove the smell and taste of blood.
- After letting it rest for 30 minutes, use a strainer to separate the liver from the milk and give it a rinse in running water.
- This step is not strictly necessary, but it can give a plus to the final result. After removing all traces of milk, let the pieces of the liver rest in water and add the juice of 2 lemons, which will also help with the smell and taste.
- After 30 minutes of waiting, completely remove the water and repeat the process until the extracted water looks very clean.
- Add some salt and garlic to taste. Heat a pan with some butter and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Once the butter is melted, it’s time to place the liver. I assure you that the only thing you will smell is something like paradise.
- After frying on both sides for a few minutes until golden brown, at which time you will remove it from the pan.
- With the remaining oil in the pan, you should fry some onion slices, different colored peppers, and tomato. Season with a pinch of cumin and ground black pepper.
- When these ingredients are browned, place the liver in the pan and cover it for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- If you have completed all the steps, your liver dish looks great and smells like the envy of the best chefs. Find some good side dishes for the meal and enjoy!
With this simple recipe, I assure you that anyone who avoids pork liver will change their mind, especially because once the pork liver is soaked in milk it eliminates any unpleasant odors. But in case you don’t get it right the first time, don’t blame yourself, the liver has always given a fight in that aspect even to most skilled cooks.
It is the perfect recipe for people who stay away from this piece of pork. Liver is high in vitamin A and many other nutrients for the health-conscious out there. And don’t even get me started on the vitamin B.
Signs Of A Good Pork Liver
But of course, you must be careful of bad pork livers. The clearest signs you can find it in its color, if it is similar to red, good, if it is very pale, bad.
Its texture should also be firm and not too slippery.
The smell is one of the most important parts because no matter how good it looks, a liver with an unpleasant smell is synonymous with problems.
I hope the recipe and tips have helped you, and don’t worry too much if you don’t have all the ingredients. The essential ingredients are milk, lemons, and onions, the 3 ingredients that rid of the bad smell of pork liver, one of the most infamous cuts but with good preparation, it tastes delicious.